Monday 20 October 2014

Baked Sweet Potato Latke

The sun came out, the temperature has gone up, the snow is melting, its finally spring!!!  What is the one thing you think about eating once spring rolls around?!?!  Well for me it was BBQ, but what did I have in the house that I could BBQ?  Ground meat - burgers... UGH I dont have any giant portabello mushrooms - what will I use as a burger bun? The I went to my trust pinterest site and what did I see... sweet potato latke burgers!!  Wooo!  Yummy!  
Clearly I started this post a very long time ago, and never got around to finishing. Thank goodness for a clean office and a space to work ;-)

The latkes have become a favorite for me. I use them to make all sorts of sandwiches for breakfast, lunch and dinner!!



Paleo Sloppy Joes


This was a super easy recipe!


Baked Sweet Potato Latkes
  • 1 ½ lb / 680 gr sweet potatoes (about 2 large) - Sometimes I mix white sweet potatoes or parsnips into the mix, a little spinach, carrots.... be creative
  • 2 scallions (or 1 medium onion), thinly sliced - i do not include onions
  • 2 free-range organic large eggs, lightly beaten
  • ½ cup / 1.76 oz / 50 gr almond meal - I also use 1/2 cup of flax instead, gives it an earthy taste
  • 2 teaspoons fine grain sea salt
  • ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1-2 tablespoons of chia seeds

Sweet Potato and Spinach Latkes

Directions



  1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C), coat two baking sheets with olive oil.
  2. Grate sweet potatoes with a medium sized grater (or, if you have one, using the shredding blade of a food processor), so you get decent shreds of potatoes. I use my food processor - and I use the larger side of the shredder
  3. In a large bowl combine scallions and eggs. Add almond flour, salt and pepper and mix until incorporated. Add sweet potatoes, and toss until combined and evenly coated. I like to add my flax and chia seeds to the sweet potato and mix it in well - then I add the egg mixture
  4. Drop ½ cup of potato mixture onto the baking sheet, and with the help of a spatula flatten and shape into large flat discs. Repeat to obtain 8 big latkes. I use parchment paper
  5. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through. I recommend to rotate the baking sheet a couple of times to get an even crispiness.
  6. The latkes are ready when they have a nice golden color and are bit burned around the edges.
  7. You can also throw the mix into your waffle iron and make hashbrown waffles :-)
Burgers and Salad

I hope you get as much enjoyment out of these little goldmines as I do :-)

Happy Cooking!!

JoJo!!



No comments:

Post a Comment