Monday 17 February 2014

Chicken & Brussels Sprouts Salad

Every week when I go to Costco I buy a bag a brussels sprouts.  I slap chop them up and hide them in all sorts of meat dishes and sauces.  I roast them, pan fry them with sundried tomatoes, or cook them in bacon.  Always cooked.  Never have I thought about eating raw brussels sprouts until I came accross this recipe, so I thought I would give it a try.

Since I was going to Costco, I picked up a rotissere chicken to make my life a little easier.  I decided to exclude the grapes and double the apples. (Texture thing - seems like grapes would be kind of mushy) I also skipped the onion and added some mushroom and broccoli instead.  Brown mustard? Didn't see any at the store so I used the Dijon mustard I had in the fridge for the dressing.  I also doubled the dressing recipe.

Who in my house loves this salad?  Me.  Only me.  It is a 1-star recipe in terms of who will eat it in my house, but in terms of taste - 3 starts for sure!  I am thinking this will be a great salad for the summer!!



Ingredients:
1/2 pound of brussels sprouts (2-ish cups once sliced)
1/2 Granny Smith apple - I used a full apple
1/2 cup quartered green grapes - skipped this step
1/2 cup chopped almonds - I used just a few extra (I like the crunch)
2 chicken breasts, chopped - Costco rotissere chicken breasts
1/2 white onion, finely diced - I skipped this
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped broccoli

Vinaigrette: (I doubled the recipe)
2 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar
1 TBSP quality brown mustard - I used dijon mustard
1 TBSP avocado oil
1 TBSP raw local honey
1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt - I just used regular sea salt
few grinds of black pepper

Prep:

  1. Cut the brussels sprouts in half and thinly slice. 
  2. Do the same with the Granny Smith apple, slicing into matchsticks. 
  3. Grab a handful of grapes and quarter them, you should end up with about a half cup. - I skipped this
  4. Chop the half cup of almonds. I slap chopped my almonds
  5. Finely dice the white onion. Scallions would work too if you prefer a more mild onion flavor… though the white did not overpower. I didn't use either
  6. I chopped the mushrooms and broccoli and tossed them in
  7. Remove the breasts  and chop into bite-sized pieces. (if using rotiserre chicken)
  8. Combine all of these ingredients into a large bowl and gently toss the Brussels sprouts salad.

Vinaigrette:

  1. Whipping up the vinaigrette takes seconds.  Add all ingredients to a small bowl and whisk until smooth. 
  2. Pour over the Brussels sprouts salad and toss to bring together.
The original recipe I pinned from: Popular Paleo

Hope you enjoy this salad as much as I do!!

Happy Cooking and Chopping!!
JoJo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment