Saturday 15 February 2014

Banana Bread (Gluten, Grain Dairy & Nut Free)

We have successsfully transitioned Avery to dairy and gluten free.  She has done really well with the change, its mom and dad that struggle.  Having her dairy free means that she can't have butter, which poses a struggle for some baking recipes. For the most part we can substitute coconut oil and things work out.  I also look more for recipes that list coconut oil as a possible substitute in the recipe.

Avery is now also in a full time daycare (and I cook and provide the majority of her food).  I'm ok with this.  When I look at the menu for the kids, I am quite happy that she is not eating the same as the other kids.  It does create a lot of extra work for me, but at least I know what she is eating.  The problem with daycare.... it is a nut free facility.  Yet another obstacle in our baking.  Most baked goods use almond flour.  So now the mission is making baked goods without nut flour!!

Avery loves banana bread, so I was delighted when I stumbled accross this recipe.  I was nervous too.  I have not had a good experience so far baking with coconut flour.  I find that since you use a high number of eggs in the recipes, the baked goods tend to taste like eggs.  Not that I have anything against eggs, but the only thing I want to taste like eggs, is my eggs.



To my surprise, this recipe is great!  I have made it twice!  Avery had two for breakfast this morning. My husband tasted it, and he liked it, although he has not eaten any.  I still give this recipe 3 stars.  All 3 of us liked them :-)

Super simple recipe too:

Ingredients
4 very ripe bananas, mashed - I used 3 frozen and one under ripe, and it was fine
⅓ cup coconut oil, or butter, melted - I used coconut oil
4 eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract - of course i just guessed ;-)
1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup coconut flour - I buy giant bags at Costco
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon sea salt
optional add-ins: ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips (I like THESE because they are dairy and soy free), walnuts, pecans, slivered almonds, raisins, etc. I added Enjoy Life Chocolate chips (you can buy them at Superstore and Save-on... not really any more expensive than regular chocolate chips)

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Throw everything together in a medium bowl and mix until combined.
Pour into a lightly greased (use coconut oil or butter for greasing) bread pan.- I make them as muffins.  easier all around
Bake for about 45 – 60 minutes (muffins around 45 minutes)or until center is set and top is golden. Enjoy!

*Your bananas should be extremely brown, almost to the point when you would throw them away or freeze them. If they are not overly ripe, your bread will not be as sweet and probably not taste as good. If you are using non-ripe bananas, you should add about a ⅓ cup of maple syrup to the batter.

Stay tuned for more "daycare friendly" gluten, grain and dairy free recipes!!

Happy Baking Friends!!
JoJo!

No comments:

Post a Comment