Thursday 8 August 2013

Chunky Moneky Muffins

This is another creation from this morning.  Avery was up at 4:30am, so I figured we may as well make the most of it.  She was almost out of her pumpkin pancakes, so I decided to make muffins and scones.

I keep a big bag of black bananas in my fridge, always.  It was getting a little full, so I looked for something to make with bananas.  I came across the chunky monkey  muffins and thought I would give it a whirl.



The recipe calls for coconut sugar, and I substituted raw, local, honey.  Coconut sugar is not sustainable.  Once you tap a tree for coconut sugar it can no longer bear fruit.  If you are interested in more info on coconut sugar, click here. Honey is a great substitute in this recipe, and I will substitute honey where it will work.
 
The muffins get 3/3 stars! Woooo!!  Avery ate them, my husband ate them, and of course I did too.  There is rarely a recipe I make that I dont like. LOL

Ingredients

  1. ½ cup coconut flour
  2. ½ cup tapioca flour
  3. 1 teaspoon baking soda
  4. ½ cup butter, melted
  5. ½ cup coconut sugar I used 1/2 cup of honey
  6. 1 cup mashed bananas, from ~2 medium bananas my bananas looked small so I used 2 1/2
  7. 1 teaspoon vanilla extract just wing it ;-)
  8. 4 eggs
  9. ½ cup chocolate chips - or maybe a few extra - we use the mini chips
  10. ½ cup walnuts, chopped

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together coconut flour, tapioca flour, and baking soda. I just mix them in my measuring cup.  No point messing up extra dishes
  3. In another large bowl, whisk together butter, sugar, bananas, vanilla extract, and eggs. I used my kitcheaid
  4. Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
  5. Gently fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Divide batter among the lined muffin cups.
  6. Bake until the muffins have puffed and the edges have slightly browned, about 20-25 minutes. I baked them probably closer to 25 minutes
 Original recipe from:http://www.health-bent.com/treats/paleo-banana-nut-chocolate-chip-muffins

Hope you enjoy!

Happy Baking!!

JoJo!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment