Sunday 16 June 2013

Soy Sauce Substitute

We all know how much I love my fried cauliflower rice.  I make it quite regularly.  Last weekend I ran out of the coconut aminos that I use as a soy replacement.  I made a trip to the enjoy center to buy some more, and well, they have been taken off the shelves!!!  Apparently it has something to do withe the labels, blah blab blah.

I was fortunate enough to bump into the most delightful and helpful staff member at the Enjoy center (who happens to be in my 1/2 marathon clinic - small world).  Rather than just telling me that the sauce was no longer available, she did research and actually brought me recipes to try!!  Amazing service!  

I was given several recipes, so I just tried the first one, and it worked out great.  It was pretty easy to make, not a lot of ingredients, and the nice thing is, it can have as much or as little salt as you would like!  My husband tasted it, and he actually enjoyed it (although he would have preferred more salt)  It worked great in my rice!



Ingredients:
1.  4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
2.  2 teaspoons unsulphured molasses (you can buy this at the Enjoy center or save-on foods)
3.  1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
4.  1 pinch white pepper (I did not have white pepper so I skipped this)
5.  1 pinch garlic powder
6.  1 1/2 cups organic beef or chicken broth (I used chicken broth)
7.  salt, to taste (if needed) (I definitely salted!)

Directions:
1.  in  a saucepan over medium heat, stir together all of the ingredients except the salt. (next time I would salt a little while cooking - cook the salty flavor in the sauce!)
2.  Bring to a boil
3.  Continue to boil until the liquid is reduced to about 1 cup (about 15 minutes)
4.  Taste and season with salt as needed
5.  Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to a week - shake before using

Original recipe is from:  Cooking God's Way

Hope this works as well for you as it did for me!!

JoJo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment